- Dad: Well some people just let them go.
- Me: That's still awful. Would you like it if someone stabbed you in the mouth and let you go afterward?
- Dad: Well at least they get a free meal out of it.
- Me: Would you want to be stabbed in the mouth for a free meal?
- Dad: Well I don't think the fish really notice that.
- Me: I think they'd notice.
It seems I’ll be having a lonely night. But that’s okay, people can be lonely sometimes and it’s totally fine. I guess.
Awesome gaming loot today!
For anyone who doesn’t know, today was Free RPG Day, and though I couldn’t stick around for more than one game I did get my hands on a big pile of free scenarios for a bunch of different systems along with a couple of really neat dice.
Notable loot includes We Be Goblins Too!, a sequel to the Pathfinder We Be Goblins! module, a really neat-looking Vampire: the Requiem module, and the quick-start rules for Shadowrun 5th edition. There was also a Swords and Wizardry module that caused TWO TPKs in one session, so of course I had to grab that one.
Good loot. Good day.
E3 was great! Just look at all brand new games they give us!
Just look at protagonists! Isn’t it great, how modern technologies let developers create so many different characters?! Just look at divercity of facial hair! Or how many hues of dark brown used for their hair!
How to Play: message me with an assumption that you make about me and I will reply to it with whether it is true or false
Well this could get interesting…
is anyone even still up
Okay no you guys should totally do this
I seem to have finally crashed down from the really great week I just had.
I’m feeling utterly hopeless and miserable now. Sorry to anyone who may have been enjoying my lack of complainy sad posts.
Currently working on my first painting video (finally!), which I’m fairly excited about, even if it’s not very impressive.
daily reminder not to reblog missing people posts unless you actually know who the person in the photo is and that they really are missing, there are shitheads out there who look for people hiding from them. an abusive husband found his wife and child through such a post. they were under protected identity but he found them through a missing person post online.
Um this is really scary and I would have never considered this.
So I thought I was gonna start a temporary job today, but I couldn’t find the people I was supposed to meet or even the location where I was supposed to be working, so… yeah, I guess not. Okay then.
It depends on what you mean by “objective,” which the test doesn’t take into account. I do believe, and I think you do too, that there exists a moral standard outside of your own opinions, which I would call objective, but most people mean objective to be something beyond even the consensus of humans, inherent to the universe or something outside of it (ignoring the nonsensical nature of that concept). Objectivity is a sliding scale, not an either/or description.
For example, I’ll tone down your genocide example to murder. Most humans agree that murder is wrong. If I disagree, murder is still objectively wrong because that judgement is not mine to make on my own. However, in the grand scheme of things everyone is going to die anyway, so in terms of cosmic importance murder is not objectively wrong, as no human actions can have any relevance to the universe as a whole. This becomes a severe problem when discussing morality because of the equivocation that is almost built into the question. The question should not be “do you believe in an objective morality,” but rather “what scale of objective morality do you believe in?”
The subject is often brought up in religious discussions, where the argument is often made that if an action will not have any importance to the entirety of the cosmos, it cannot have any importance at all, which is preposterous, and I was very disappointed at the way the tension test phrased that question. Objective morality can (and I think does) come from subjective sources.
Heh, thanks. ^_^”
I found the dog one really interesting. “You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?” Not interesting because it’s remotely difficult to answer (I’d save the dog, no question), but because I imagine it would be difficult for a lot of other people. It’s not fair for me to judge someone for wanting to keep their job, but letting the dog drown seems pretty awful, and I’d be curious to hear someone else’s answer to that.
23) What’s the worst place you have ever been to?
40) Are you the kind of friend you would want to have as a friend?
Surprisingly, hell yes. =)
47) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?
My life has not been filled with really great decisions, so hopefully the best decision of my life in in the future. I guess if I have to pick one, I’m glad I took a course in college examining the Bible as literature, because that put me directly on the path to being an atheist.
53) What would be a question you’d be afraid to tell the truth on?
A friend pointed out that this is kind of a self-defeating question. If there’s a question I’m afraid to answer, wouldn’t I be afraid to tell you what it is? =P
9) Simple but extremely complex. Favorite band?
Oh, I’m terrible at picking favorites… I’ve gotten into Ben Caplan & the Casual Smokers recently, but the best I can give you is my favorite, like, this week. So that’ll do, I guess.
13) What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
I guess they’re both connected to the same thing: I care unreservedly about things and people. I can be a little oversensitive sometimes and it doesn’t take much to send me into a fun little spiral of self-hatred, but at the same time I put a lot of enthusiasm into the things I enjoy and I’m supportive of the people I care about. I think that’s a decent answer.
19) What’s your biggest “what if”?
Right now, it’s “what if things don’t work out?” I’m waiting on a decision from a university I applied to, and I’m really terrified that I won’t get in. A lot of things I’m desperately hoping for in my future are riding on this.
Ah… thank you. U r… grey.
4) What do you think about most?
Probably the different ideas I have for RPGs, mostly Pathfinder right now. I have a lot of those ideas.
10) What was the last lie you told?
Heh… I wanted to help out a friend recently, but the method I used worried my parents a bit, and they asked me if I’d talked to her about what I was doing. To reassure them I said yes, though I was actually planning to surprise her.
15) How do you vent your anger?
Actually, I tend not to. My anger usually dissipates rather quickly, leaving me exhausted and sad. Sometimes I yell a lot about what I’m angry about before that happens.
- 1) Put your iTunes on shuffle. Give me the first 6 songs that pop up.
- 2) If you could meet anyone on this earth, who would it be?
- 3) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 23, give me line 17.
- 4) What do you think about most?
- 5) Ever had a poem or song written about you?
- 6) Do you have any strange phobias?
- 7) What's your religion?
- 8) If you are outside, what are you most likely doing?
- 9) Simple but extremely complex. Favorite band?
- 10) What was the last lie you told?
- 11) Do you believe in karma?
- 12) What does your URL mean?
- 13) What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
- 14) Who is your celebrity crush?
- 15) How do you vent your anger?
- 16) Do you have a collection of anything?
- 17) Are you happy with the person you've become?
- 18) What's a sound you hate; sound you love?
- 19) What's your biggest "what if"?
- 20) Do you believe in ghosts? How about aliens?
- 21) Stick your right arm out; what do you touch first? Do the same with your left arm.
- 22) Smell the air. What do you smell?
- 23) What's the worst place you have ever been to?
- 24) Most attractive singer/s of your opposite gender?
- 25) To you, what is the meaning of life?
- 26) Do you drive? If so, have you ever crashed?
- 27) What was the last movie you saw?
- 28) What's the worst injury you've ever had?
- 29) Do you have any obsessions right now?
- 30) Ever had a rumor spread about you?
- 31) Do you tend to hold grudges against people who have done you wrong?
- 32) What is your astrological sign?
- 33) What's the last thing you purchased?
- 34) Love or lust?
- 35) In a relationship?
- 36) How many relationships have you had?
- 37) What is your secret weapon to get someone to like you?
- 38) Where is your best friend?
- 39) What were you doing last night at 12 AM?
- 40) Are you the kind of friend you would want to have as a friend?
- 41) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?
- 42) You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid?
- 43) What's a song that always makes you happy when you hear it?
- 44) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship?
- 45) How can I win your heart?
- 46) Can insanity bring on more creativity?
- 47) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?
- 48) What would you want to be written on your tombstone?
- 49) Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "heart."
- 50) Basic question; what's your favorite color/colors?
- 51) What is your current desktop picture?
- 52) If you could press a button and make anyone in the world instantaneously explode, who would it be?
- 53) What would be a question you'd be afraid to tell the truth on?
- 54) You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what's even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What is that power?
- 55) You can re-live any point of time in your life. The time-span can only be a half-hour, though. What half-hour of your past would you like to experience again?
- 56) You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
- 57) You have the opportunity to sleep with the music-celebrity of your choice. Who would it be?
- 58) You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go?
- 59) Ever been on a plane?
- 60) Give me your top 5 hottest celebrities.
Also, awesome thing about iced coffee: It doesn’t matter how long I take to drink it, because I don’t have to worry about it getting cold.
Your beard is looking particularly nice today.
Y’know, my beard has been looking particularly nice all of the days! I find it kind of amusing that there are so many advertisements for razors that imply that being clean shaven makes men hot, but I’ve gained far more confidence in my looks since discarding my razor.
Just thought I’d let anyone who cares know,
I think I’ve actually accomplished that “be a better person” goal. Still have a few things to work on, but…
Yeah. I think I can like myself now. =)
I’m pretty sure that when someone talks about how “feminism killed romance”
they don’t actually know what romance is. I’ve never met a feminist who didn’t like flowers, but I do know of a few assholes who think romance requires a submissive woman. Not how it works people.
When Strangers Click, a 2011 documentary about online dating.
It reminds me of that famous Margaret Atwood quote: “Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.” It also reminds me of something written by one of the mods of Sex Worker Problems: “Misandry irritates. Misogyny kills.”
I mean, it’s just true.
There are some people I talk to who I am unable to help in any meaningful way. Their problems are either beyond anything I’m capable of helping with, or they are too far away for me to provide a simple solution to anything. Despite this, I always offer to do whatever I can, even if it’s not much, often using some variant of this phrase:
“Anything within my power.”
It’s a little shocking and almost terrifying to realize that the purview of “within my power” is so much larger than I thought. And that if I manage to live up to that promise, I’ll need to convince some people I’m not insane for doing so…
Making passive aggressive posts complaining about friends that you know will eventually read them, basically insulting them instead of ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT IT TO THEM. Which results in making things worse for yourself.
That’s right, I’m talking to you, Mike.
I don’t recall saying anything insulting, though if I did it was unintentional and I apologize. I’m pretty sure the thing I said regarding you was that I was worried I wouldn’t be able to make the game fun for you. If self-deprecation is insulting to anyone but myself, I was unaware.
So, getting upset with someone and calling them “passive-aggressive” for worrying that they won’t be able to entertain you? Yeah, pretty good idea.
Update: D&D is going very well and I’m happy with this start.
I have some thoughts I need to get out, and I don’t think I have any other outlets than this. Some of these thoughts pertain to other people who will very likely read this; I really hope none of what I say is taken badly by anyone concerned. I wish I had someone to talk to privately about everything on my mind, but everyone I can think of is directly related to my thoughts. So here’s what’s been weighing me down…
I’ve been contemplating some emotional stuff lately. The only solid conclusion I’ve come to so far is that emotions are absolutely terrifying.
- Anakin: In the circumstances surrounding loyalty, fealty and overall alignment of purpose and action, one is either of entirely one mind with the person so referred to by the practice of the perpendicular pronoun, or one must be said to be in a state colloquially referred to as being "at odds". Any state of matters which can be said to be as falling within these two extremes is so insufficiently asseverative as to be fundamentally and wholly indistinguishable from opposition.
- Obi-Wan: Individuals or persons not counting themselves among the number of those who refer to themselves as "the Sith", would be hard pressed to make a statement as utterly categorical, and not admitting, upon mature reflection, of views which, at the end of the day, would have to be said to be more balanced (in an, of course, non-epistemological fashion) and, frankly, more sophisticated.
I feel like I’ve been relatively quiet on tumblr lately (I’m probably completely wrong), so here’s some life updates I guess.
I hate what Moffat has brought to Who SO much.
If we’re friends, there’s a 106% chance that I’m always petrified that you secretly hate me.
soycrates replied to your post: enamored-ensemble reblogged your post: If you had…
check your mage privilege?
You don’t understand! White mages have it rough too! I mean, everyone loves black mages, and the blue mages are taking all of the jobs, so there’s nothing left for us poor white mages. We’re the oppressed ones! Really!
(God I hope people realize I’m being satirical.)
Was that a response to me, or just a general reaction to the question?